The search is on for Welsh amateur playwrights
Velvet Coalmine arts festival in Blackwood and Blackwood Little Theatre have launched a one act amateur playwriting competition to inspire writers from across Wales.
Velvet Coalmine, a music, literature and arts festival now in its fourth year, takes place between 7 – 16 September 2017 in Blackwood. As part of this year’s festival it has teamed up with Blackwood Little Theatre to find the newest and boldest playwrights from across Wales to write a one act play which will be read and appraised by four experienced and published authors.
The festival of writing, rock & roll and coal started in 2014 and since then has been instrumental in raising the profile of the area and the aspirations of local children and families. This competition will go that one step further, giving amateur writers the leg up they need.
Neil Maidman from the Blackwood Little Theatre, said: “It doesn’t matter if you haven’t had anything published, acted out or written anything before. This competition is all about finding new and raw talent that we can help get onto a bigger stage.”
Iain Richards, founder of Velvet Coalmine, added: “Since we started the festival we have had one aim – to empower local children to be whoever they want to be and do whatever they want to do. We hope that by launching this play writing competition and showcasing local talent to a wider audience, someone’s talent will get recognised amongst experts in their field.”
Here’s what you need to know to enter:
Theme: Our Future
Aim: To inspire writers from across Wales to write a one act play which will be read and appraised by four experienced and published authors based in Wales.
- You should submit a one act play for at least two performers. It cannot be a monologue
- The duration of the play should be around 40 – 50 minutes
- The play should not have been previously published
- Entries will only be accepted by authors over 18
- Equal consideration will be given to English and Welsh language entries.
- There is a prize of £250 for the winner and £100 for the runner up.
- Winning play will have a script in hand public reading at Velvet Coalmine.
- Entries should be e-mailed to email@example.com by midnight on the 31st July 2017
The winners will be announced on Friday 15 September at the festival. The full line up of acts will be announced on the 30 June along with ticket sales to the festival. For further information and criteria for entry go to www.velvetcoalmine.com
For press information and interviews with Iain or Neil, please contact Vicki Spencer-Francis from Cowshed on 02920 789 321 or firstname.lastname@example.org